Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: What editor/IDE do you guys program your game in, and in what language(s)? :)  (Read 5906 times)
Hermbot
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »

I am new here, so this is a good "first reply" post... I am programming my first roguelike in Python (I have found the Python/libtcod tutorials invaluable), and while I tend to switch editors a lot I have settled on Sublime Text. I used to use emacs but found that I ended up spending more time futzing with my editor and writing lisp functions than I did working on the code I was supposed to be writing. ST works wonderfully for Python development.
jice
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 12:52:29 PM »

Welcome to the forums. Good luck with your project, and congratulations for using the best code editor in the world Wink
belfador
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 12:56:34 PM »

First of all, I'm new here and I discovered libtcod last year when I was playing DCrawl Stone Soup and, suddenly, I was urged to make my own roguelike. Currently, I'm developing a text based sports manager and I think that libtcod is the perfect library to make a cool-old-fashioned GUI.

My combo: Windows + Python + PyScrypter. I love python and I think it is the best language around for small/free games. With Python I can make a lot of progress on my proyects in less time than in C/C++. Also, I like it's syntax and object approach a lot.

PyScrypter it's OK for me, I get comfortable with it some time ago and I don't feel the need to change it.
anylo
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 09:24:07 PM »

Ubuntu + Eclipse (mainly because it supports refactoring) with PyDev + Git

http://anylosroguelike.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/tools-for-fools/
thefish
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »

I'm very new to Python, so i try to get grasp on it by writing a simple roguelike.
This is very fruifful experience, i already learned some nice tricks =)

So i'm working under Ubuntu 10.04, using Python and libtcod.

Mostly i am using Vim with bunch of plugins for word completion/go to definition and such stuff.
Also i tried commercial IDE named Pycharm, worked like a charm (pun intended).

Next language (and roguelike) will be Common Lisp, i think.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:53:32 PM by thefish » Logged

Excuse my English please.
Orillian
Defender

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 01:35:38 AM »

PyCharm is my primary python IDE, under both Win7 and Ubuntu.

I use MonoDev for C++

O.
Xleek
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 09:09:33 AM »

I'm using C++, writting with Vi(m) and compiling with CMakeFiles, under ArchLinux Smiley
zasvid
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 10:03:55 AM »

I'm using Eclipse + pydev, working on Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows XP.

Using the same setup on two different OSes has some surprising merits - yesterday my roguelike had the strangest behaviour on Linux - it silently terminated on console_flush 1 time after a code change, then worked ok until next code change - very weird (hence my registration to this forum). However, after booting Windows, it just crashed every time with a memory access violation and I've been able to figure out that I've been blitting a console declaring its size to be bigger than it really was. It saved quite a bit of grief to investigate it that way!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: