Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to organize a Rougelike  (Read 1460 times)
Marte
Apprentice

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2010, 02:53:12 PM »

(I've posted same question on goblincamp.com forum, so please be patient if you read twice this question, I've searched on forum but found nothing about it)

Hi!
I'm new here, but I'm playing a lot GoblinCamp, what I like:
- UI
- possibilities
- tile set into forum (great work guys!)

I see code base of Goblin Camp and as programmer I have few questions:
- how do organize all the things? I mean: do you have a GameObject for general stuff, a matrix to all things to display and so on ?
- how do you organize code source? What inheritance, etc.. ?

All this questions came from a guy searching for a guide to organize my code in better way possible to do a little rougelike and goblincamp seems to perfect to ask something

thanks for your times,
jice
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 04:48:23 PM »

The obvious answer is : read Goblin's camp source code !  Grin

The longer one : I don't think there is one better way to do a roguelike. There are lots of them. Which one fits your project the best depends on the features you want (real time / turn based, mouse or keyboard only, ..) and your own programmer philosophy (whether you're an astronaut architect or a junk crawler and so on...).  For a simple roguelike, Jotaf's tutorial is probably a good reading even if you don't use python :
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_python%2Blibtcod
Marte
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:11:03 PM »

The obvious answer is : read Goblin's camp source code !  Grin

The longer one : I don't think there is one better way to do a roguelike. There are lots of them. Which one fits your project the best depends on the features you want (real time / turn based, mouse or keyboard only, ..) and your own programmer philosophy (whether you're an astronaut architect or a junk crawler and so on...).  For a simple roguelike, Jotaf's tutorial is probably a good reading even if you don't use python :
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_python%2Blibtcod

THANKS! Cheesy I'll read it!
TSMI
Champion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:22:08 AM »

I will 2nd Jotafs tutorial. If nothing else it got me started and layed out the foundations for how to build a roguelike.
Frednotbob
Defender

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:40:34 AM »

(I've posted same question on goblincamp.com forum, so please be patient if you read twice this question, I've searched on forum but found nothing about it)

Hi!
I'm new here, but I'm playing a lot GoblinCamp, what I like:
- UI
- possibilities
- tile set into forum (great work guys!)

I see code base of Goblin Camp and as programmer I have few questions:
- how do organize all the things? I mean: do you have a GameObject for general stuff, a matrix to all things to display and so on ?
- how do you organize code source? What inheritance, etc.. ?

All this questions came from a guy searching for a guide to organize my code in better way possible to do a little rougelike and goblincamp seems to perfect to ask something

thanks for your times,

As a general rule, I try and keep my code organized into 'blocks', where each block contains a particular function and anything related to it.  That way, if an error pops up in a given function, I just need to scroll up and look things over.  Start with Jotaf's tutorials -- he covers the basics and you'll get a game going, as well!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: