Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rogue Bard Design Thread  (Read 5233 times)
Bushy
Apprentice

If it ain't broke, you're slacking.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 11:56:58 PM »

What's a roguelike defined as? I don't know if you want to go down the road of trying to define that.

Hmmm, you're right... I looked at the 'Roguelike game FAQ' (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/games/roguelike/info-ftp/) and that was unconvincing in that it's possible to think of a counter-example to each criterion it tries to give. I suppose any (free) game with music is better than the same game without it!

I'm done playing devil's advocate. Just looking forward to the site now!
jice
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 11:02:32 AM »

Right. I think we should let the composer choose whatever license fits him as long as it doesn't break the basic rules of the site :
  • the song is an original creation and does not break any existing copyright
  • the song is free (as in free beer) to use in any non commercial roguelike
Now if the composer wants to put his song in public domain, he's free to do it or if he wants a very restrictive license, he can also use it as long as those two rules are not broken.
Jotaf
Global Moderator
Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 02:13:14 PM »

I'm very excited about this, it seems like an excellent idea Smiley One suggestion: a song should have a list of RLs it's used in (maintained by the users of course). It's not meant to discourage reuse of a song, it's just that someone might be less inclined to use a song that's already in a popular RL than one used by less-known RLs. Or something. At least I'd appreciate this information Smiley Or maybe it's not that healthy for the project. Now I can't make up my mind Wink
jice
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 11:17:53 PM »

For everything that could be linked to the rules governing who and how we can use songs submitted to the roguebard, I think we should assert that "a roguelike" = "a video game". There's no point trying to limit the license to a certain category of games even if the site is primarily intended to serve roguelike community.
mingos
Global Moderator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 08:01:04 AM »

I agree.

If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.
- Edsger Dijkstra
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: